Assistant Technical Director
Part-Time Seasonal or Contract Position
June 2021 – December 2021
The Phipps Center for the Arts located in Hudson, Wisconsin (just east of the Twin Cities) seeks a part-time or contract Assistant Technical Director to provide assistance to the Technical Director in the implementation and supervision of the execution of the scenic and lighting designs for all productions including their creation, transportation, installation and removal. Supervises and provides technical support for occasional concerts, special events, and other rentals, as well as assists and manages technical rehearsals.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in developing comprehensive build calendars for each production;
- Assists in preparation of time, labor, and materials projection for productions;
- Assist in drafting when needed;
- Works in conjunction with and oversees volunteers;
- Attends scene shop meetings, production meetings, and technical rehearsals as needed;
- Assists Technical Director in distribution of projects during the work day;
- Verifies that all projects are built in accordance to drawings and proactively consults with the Technical Director in case of any questions or in making decisions regarding building/rebuilding set pieces;
- Consults with the Technical Director to fully understand and maintain rules, regulations, and safety procedures and protocols;
- Assist the Technical Director in managing shop space and tools;
- Verifies that hardware carts, tools, lumber, and other general building materials are properly stored, and the shop areas stay clean;
- Assist the Technical Director and sometimes leads load-ins and strike.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 2 – 3 years’ experience in technical theater or related field is preferred;
- Experience in scenic painting and carpentry required;
- Some theatrical lighting experience preferred;
- Ability to use CAD software is required;
- Strong communication, organization, and interpersonal skills are appreciated.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and be comfortable with heights.
The Phipps Center for the Arts (ThePhipps.org) offers exciting performances, engaging exhibitions, and inspiring classes in the performing and visual arts. It is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) corporation operating since 1983 in historic downtown Hudson, Wisconsin, on the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, 20 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. It produces community theater, children’s theater, and dance productions; presents concerts ranging from jazz to classical; exhibits the work of area and regional artists in seven galleries as well as off-site; and offers lessons, classes, and workshops in the performing and visual arts throughout the year. It houses a 247-seat proscenium theater and a 125-seat black box theater.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Phipps Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership, parental status, military status, or any other non-merit factor.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, May 28, 2021.