July 13 – 17
1 – 2 p.m. daily virtual meetings
Public art installation: Friday, July 17, between 2 and 4 p.m., with students scheduling individual time slots coordinated by the instructor that week
Register by: Monday, June 29
Art kit pick-up: Friday, July 10, 8 a.m. – 12 noon
Class fee: $79
Instructor: Liz Malanaphy (Just Add Water)
Are you a scientist? Are you an artist? Do you have something important about your world that you want to communicate? We will explore some important science, study how we are all connected, then create a public art installation to show everyone how it works. Students will create their piece of the outdoor art in person, one at a time (family members can create together), with the instructor’s guidance/presence.
● Pre-packed creativity kits, designed especially for the specific class to be picked up at The Phipps. If a student wants to join us from another city or state, creativity kits can be mailed. “Long-distanced” families can participate together this summer.
● Pre-recorded video instructions for different activities (so you can watch and participate when it works for YOU), and guided, fun activity ideas.
● Daily options during the week of your class for show and tell online sharing.
● Scheduled virtual visits, with flexibility to accommodate a family’s needs. Students can also catch up with instructions and via emails if needed.
● Everything kids need to create their own part of a collaborative community art project. These art installations will be temporary, so students can create, share, and then take it home to keep.
● In addition, students will have the option to send in photos and videos of their experiences, to be featured in Just Add Water weekly news recap videos.
Liz Malanaphy has taught Just Add Water (JAW) art & nature classes at The Phipps for nine years. The JAW experience is hands-on fun for young artists and scientists who want to learn more about the world around them. Liz is a mother of five who has worked with hundreds of students through the Hudson Destination Imagination program and various other community projects.