This class will go over the basics of creating murals using spray paint! Each student will be provided the space to learn and practice new techniques and given access to the tools needed to learn how to safely use spray paint outdoors. The final project will be a group mural for display at The Phipps.
Mon and Weds
July 12 and 14
9 am – noon
Thomasina Topbear is a self-taught Santee Dakota & Oglala Lakota muralist. She has been a member of the international all female street art crew Few & Far Women since 2015. Thomasina helped found City Mischief Murals, an all BIPOC mural collective that actively paints large scale community-based murals in the Twin Cities. She has organized a number of local and national community-based murals focusing on youth, women, activism & BIPOC artists. Thomasina’s inspirations come from her Indigenous culture and graffiti style type lettering. She uses these influences to express her feelings on community, social justice, culture, feminism and togetherness.
What to Wear and Bring to Camp –
Dress to get messy – some art materials may stain. The Phipps is not responsible for clothing that is damaged in art classes. Prepare to be outside and to walk. Dress appropriately, wear a hat, comfortable shoes, and wear and bring sun protection. Bring a nut-free snack to all classes that run two hours or longer. Bring a filled water bottle as water fountains are not available. Class will be held primarily outdoors and in Lakefront Park. If it rains class will be held under tents or moved inside.
We also will be following Covid Protocols similar to Hudson School District.
▪ Face Masks covering mouth and nose are required indoors at all times (unless eating).
▪ Face Masks are required outdoors unless individuals are able to physically distance 6 feet or more.
▪ Students are seated 6 feet apart whenever feasible.
▪ No sharing of supplies/materials.
▪ If there is equipment that needs to be shared, it is disinfected between uses.
▪ Students wash or use hand sanitizer on their hands at beginning of class and when leaving class.