Calling all Movers, Shakers & Makers
The Phipps seeks submissions in all visual and performing art forms for the Virtual 2020 Members’ Spotlight
Submission Deadline: Friday, July 24, 4 p.m.
This year’s annual Members’ Spotlight will be presented as a virtual show in response to the health concerns caused by COVID-19.
Together, members of The Phipps are a creative network joined by the belief in the center’s mission to “Celebrate the creative spirit.” All members are encouraged to share their unique creative talents in the Virtual 2020 Members’ Spotlight and connect with other members with similar creative inclinations.
The Members’ Spotlight is an opportunity for every member of The Phipps community to share their creativity. In addition to seeking submissions of traditional visual arts and crafts – drawing, painting, mixed media, photography, sculpture, video, installation, pottery, jewelry, textiles, glass, etc. – we encourage musical, literary, theater, and submissions in all other creative areas, including but not limited to architecture, graphic design, clothing design, and theater design (costume, sets, makeup, lighting).
Current members and others whose memberships have lapsed within the past year will receive a reminder of this opportunity in the mail, and new members are encouraged to participate. Information about membership can be found at https://thephipps.org/get-involved-2/give/donations/ or by calling 715.386.2305.
To Participate in the Virtual Members’ Spotlight:
Members are encouraged to make up to two submissions total.
To submit work that would have been displayed if The Galleries were open: send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, mailing address, and phone number; the title, medium, and price of your submission(s); and attach a jpeg image of your work (see “Tips for Photographing Artwork” below.) For 3-d, kinetic, or installation work, attach up to three images of each submission or an mp4 video of no longer than 10 seconds.
To submit a performance: submit a video of your performance(s) or sign up for a time to perform on the Main Stage. If you perform on the Main Stage, we will record sound/video for you.
Performers should sign up online (link) for a Main Stage recording time. Please include a brief description with any technical support required and approximate length of your performance. A representative from The Phipps will follow-up with any questions and to confirm the Spotlight performance schedule.
Videos can be submitted through Dropbox, WeTransfer, Microsoft OneDrive, or Facebook. If using a sharing service WeTransfer or Dropboxend files to email@example.com. If sharing on Facebook, make sure your video is posted publicly on your timeline, and tag The Phipps Center for the Arts. (See “Tips for Recording Performances” below.)
Tips for Photographing Artwork
- Hang your artwork on a wall if possible in a well lit room.
- Remove any glass if the piece is framed.
- Fill the camera frame as much as possible with the artwork.
- Use editing software to correct exposure, color balance, cropping and parallax. Most smart phones have image editing capabilities now that can improve images tremendously.
- If unable to hang piece, place artwork on the floor or a table on a piece of foam core or poster board.
- Take multiple images to have a variety to choose from using the camera’s highest resolution possible.
- Try to find a neutral background to place your piece in front of or on, an empty wall works well or using foam core or poster board can work well too.
- Pay attention to shadows and move location or lighting to try to minimize harsh shadows.
- Like 2-d work, use editing software to correct image and use the camera’s highest resolution setting.
- Take multiple images changing angles and views by moving the camera or artwork.
Tips for Recording Performances:
- Record with horizontal/landscape dimensions.
- Cell phone video is fine.
- Record in a quiet space with little wind or background noise.
- If there’s a lot of echo where you are recording, try covering hard surfaces with blankets or jackets.
- Videos should be submitted as .mp4 or .mov files (your phone will likely record in one of these two file types)