All students of high school age from Western Wisconsin and Eastern Minnesota are invited to submit one recent original work in any media – drawing, painting, collage, photography, sculpture, ceramics, jewelry, or other fine crafts — in the Annual Area High School Art Exhibition.
Art teachers whose students participate in the show are invited to submit one piece of their own work for a concurrent exhibition in the Riverview Gallery.
MaryLu Brown Scholarship for the Arts
This scholarship is awarded to a graduating senior in 2019 who will be majoring in art in the Fall of 2019. William and Winkie Coyne make this annual scholarship in memory of MaryLu Brown, whose life and love of art inspired many. The winner of this scholarship will be notified in advance of the reception, and announced publicly at the reception.
Download the application here.
Guidelines and Entry Form
Guidelines for Submissions
- All high school age students in Eastern Minnesota and Western Wisconsin are encouraged to participate in this exhibition.
- One submission per student will be accepted.
- Works in all media, two-dimensional and three-dimensional, will be accepted.
- Two-dimensional work must be no larger than 36 x 36”, and two-dimensional work must be ready to hang, preferably with a picture wire. If the work is unframed, students are required to use 3M Command Picture Hanging Strips on each corner on the back of the piece. Use strips that will hold the weight of the piece. Four additional strips are required for hanging (8 total). Any artwork not following these guidelines will not be shown in the exhibition. No duct tape is allowed for hanging, framing, or attaching picture wires.
- Complete both copies of the submission form; attach one securely to the artwork and give the other to The Phipps when dropping off the work.
Drop-off Dates and Directions to The Phipps
Art can be dropped off Tuesday, April 9, or Wednesday, April 10, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Phipps is located at 109 Locust Street in Hudson, Wisconsin. Take Hwy I-94 to Wisconsin Exit 1. This becomes Hwy 35 North. Turn left (west) on Locust Street. www.thephipps.org
A professional artist or arts educator from the region will award ribbons for first place, second place, third place, and in other categories. The judge will announce selections at the closing reception and be available to speak with student artists about their work.
Reception and Pick-up
There will be a reception for the participating artists, their families, and their teachers on Sunday, May 5, from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. with a brief program at 2:00 p.m. Participants may pick up their work immediately following the reception, or on Monday, May 6, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Please be aware that all unclaimed work will become property of The Phipps on Tuesday, May 7.