We are looking for youth volunteers, ages 12 – 18, to help assist our Art Bench Trail program from May 29 through October 13.
This is a great opportunity to teach kids and other members of your community about nature through hands-on artmaking experiences. It is also a chance to work with a National Park Ranger to be a part of an effort throughout the St. Croix River Valley to engage residents and visitors through art and nature.
High school students can receive community service hours if approved by their school, all youth volunteers will earn a Junior Ranger badge, and a special reward for all youth volunteers will be an end-of-summer kayak trip with a National Park Ranger on the St. Croix River.
– Attend a training session on Tuesday, May 29, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway Visitor Center, 401 N Hamilton St., St. Croix Falls, WI 54024. Pizza will be served. (Note: if you are unavailable on this date, a separate training can be scheduled.)
– Under the supervision of a National Park Ranger and/or Phipps Center for the Arts staff, interact with the general public. assisting them with free, drop-in art and nature activities.
– Be prepared; obtain and review materials prior to event.
– Be on time and dress for the weather.
– Arrange for transportation to and from event.
– Provide feedback on your experience to help strengthen/improve the experience for other youth volunteers in the future.
Dates, Times, Locations, and Events:
Volunteers are encouraged to sign up for one or more of these opportunities which will take place at the Art Benches.
Sat., June 2, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Osceola, Wis. (Rhubarb Days)
Mon., June 11, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m., Somerset, Wis. (Books & Benches)
Wed., June 13, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m., Bayport, Minn. (Books & Benches)
Mon., June 18, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m., Somerset, Wis. (Books & Benches)
Mon., June 25, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m., Somerset, Wis. (Books & Benches)
Wed., July 11, 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Hudson, Wis. (Books & Benches)
Tues., July 17, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Lakefront Park, Hudson, Wis. (St. Croix River Fest)
Sat., July 21, 2:00 – 5:00 p.m., St. Croix Falls, Wis. (Wannigan Days)
Fri., July 27, 10:30 a.m. – 12 noon, Prescott, Wis. (Books & Benches)
Fri., August 24, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., Bayport, Minn. (Fair Day)
Fri., September 14, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., The Phipps, Hudson, Wis. (Opening Reception for “Heart of the River: Celebrating the First 50 Years of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway”)
Sat., October 13, 12 noon – 2:00 p.m., Carpenter Nature Center, Hastings, Minn. (Apple Fest)
To sign up, download the youth volunteer form and e-mail that to Anastasia Shartin, visual arts director at The Phipps Center for the Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign-ups will be accepted on a first-come basis with up to three volunteers for each date.
This youth volunteer program is a partnership of The Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, Wisconsin, and the National Park Service, with assistance from UW-Extension Polk County.
This program received funding from St. Croix Master Watershed Stewards/Tropical Wings in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act.